Resolution No. 4
Resolution No. 4
In continuation of our Twelve resolutions today we will share Resolution No. 4.
4. I will have Curd daily and a glass of milk before sleeping at night.
This resolution is divided into two parts.
Part I – Having Curd Daily
Curd isn’t just a delectable food, it is also nutritious, and consuming it regularly may boost several aspects of your health. Also known as ‘Dahi’ in Hindi language or yogurt, it is made by boiling milk and cooling it to 30 to 40 degrees Celsius and adding a spoonful of curd. Yogurt is a popular fermented dairy food consumed widely across the world for hundreds of years. Curd has been found to boost our health in a surprising number of ways, from reducing the risk of heart disease and osteoporosis to aiding in weight management.
Unlike its more glamorous dairy cousins – cheese, ice-cream, and flavored yogurt – curd has been a staple of most Indian diets and hence, much ignored. Curd has a number of health and nutritional benefits, and eating curd every day helps your system stay cool, improves your digestive system, and helps get rid of stomach problems.
If you have a cold or cough, you can still have curd if it is not sour. Do not refrigerate curd in that case, it tastes pretty decent even if it is at room temperature.Click here for Here’s why you should make a bowl of curd a part of your everyday diet
- It boosts your digestion system and works best for stomach upsets, indigestion, bloating, etc.
- High in calcium and protein, beneficial for those who are lactose intolerant and can’t take in milk.
- The best cure for a hangover – Drink responsibly, but if you have side-effects occasionally, curd could be a big help.
- It works as an energy booster. It also hydrates your body and works as an antioxidant.
- Great for hair and skin – You can apply it directly, but consuming a cup a day shows results too.
- The best form of fat – curd has the same nutritional value as milk.
- Stress buster and mood lifter – Curd is a great mood lifter. Flavored yogurt especially helps deal with lows.
- Increases immunity and defense mechanisms of the body.
- Improves the absorption of vitamins and minerals from other foods in your body.
- Best comfort food for all seasons!
- It minimizes the risk of high blood pressure and helps reduce cholesterol levels by preventing the thickening of carotid arteries.
- Some people, who cannot consume milk because they are lactose intolerant, can safely consume curd. You do not lose out on the nutritional boost that milk provides.
- All dairy products are good for your bones, and curd is no different. If you want to avoid painful diseases like osteoporosis and arthritis in the future.
- New research has confirmed that eating 18 ounces of curd daily helps to reduce belly fat as a greater amount of calcium allows the fats cells to release a lesser amount of cortisol thus helps to weight loss.
- If one has sexual inadequacy or feeling the condition like sexual impotency, the curd will give an added zeal and enthusiasm. Feeling such sexual problems, one has to take curd along with sugar just before meals.
- Curd is an effective remedy for a person suffering from Piles and Diarrhea. In these cases, one should take curd with ginger and rice.
- Curd along with little quantity of sugar and salt acts as an appetizer.
- Cow milk curd is better than curd made of buffalo milk.
- Curd is packed with micronutrients with vitamins and minerals like B12, Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc.
- Curd improves hunger since it is excellent appetite-building food.
- It is helpful in bleeding disorders.
- Curd is great for women, it helps to reduce vaginal infection.
- Yogurt is rich in lactase which helps in giving good health to the intestines.
- Curd is anti-aging.
- Curd is useful in treating Insomnia.
- Beneficial in lowering levels of Plaque and Gingivitis.
- It helps to lower hypertension and prevents cardiovascular diseases.
Plain low-fat yogurt isn’t necessarily appealing to everyone, but you can take this nutritious yogurt and add other foods to it to improve the flavor and the nutrient content. Consider adding fruit to give it more sweetness, and nuts to add some crunch while increasing the protein and healthy unsaturated fats. Both fruit and nuts contain essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Another way to make yogurt more filling is to mix in some high-fiber, low-sugar cereal.
Avoid Curd at Night :
- Curd has a tendency to block body channels
- Eating curd at night should be avoided as one has to sleep after dinner
- The digestion process continues at a very slow pace during sleep. The chances of Strotas ( Body channels ) getting blocked increases.
- Patients of Asthma, Cough, Cold, and Arthritis must not eat curd even during the day.
Curd-side effect and prevention ;
- Being oily in nature, it subdues the Vata Dosha but increases Kaff, Vatta, and Pitta Dosha.
- Eating of Sour curd should be avoided as it irritates the throat and causes common cold and headache.
- Arthritis patients should avoid curd as it may add pains to your joints.
- Curd should not be consumed alone. Substances like sugar, jaggery, rock salt and should always be added to it.
Who doesn’t love curd? Be it with a yummy, steaming paratha or as buttermilk (chaas), the curd is often quite a staple in most Indian households. But did you know this versatile dish has a number of health benefits too? Yes, here’s how curd helps you stay healthy.
About 100 grams of fat has 98 calories. The nutritional value of curd is as follows fat (4.3 gram), Carbohydrate (3.4 gm), Protein (11gm), Cholesterol (17mg), Sodium (364 mg) and Potassium (104mg). It also contains vitamins A, D, B-12, Riboflavin, calcium, Phosphorus, and magnesium. Curd is one of the best sources for calcium.
|Yogurt (245 gms ) Calories ( 149 )|
|Nutrient||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||26%|
|Sodium 113 mg||5%|
|Total Carbs 11g||4%|
Click here for Benefits of Curd for beauty & Tips
Curd is an all-in-one natural beauty product on earth. There are many benefits of using curd for skin and hair.
Top beauty benefits of curd:-
1. It is a wonderful source of lactic acid and it removes the dead skin cells effectively.
2. It acts as a deep cleanser and even cleans the pores.
3. The Bifidobacterium, a kind of bacteria contained in curd makes it very responsive to oxygen, reacts with oxygen in the air, and instantly produces hydrogen peroxide naturally. This improves skin complexion.
4. Removes suntan
5. Acts as an astringent
6. Removes blemishes on regular usage
7. Curd also acts as a catalyst and when it is mixed with other face packs, it activates the ingredients and makes the skin absorb them well.
8. It is rich in B-complex and pampers your skin when applied.
9. It is a natural face wash with moisturizer.
10. Cures and prevents acne.
11. Get softer and Radiant face skin.
12. Prevents premature wrinkles.
13. Removes Dark spots.
14. Minimizes Blemishes.
15. Get rids of Acne naturally.
16. Natural hair conditioner.
17. Homemade face mask.
18. Promotes thick and healthy hair.
19. Removes dead skin cells effectively.
20. Moisturizes dry skin.
Homemade face pack using Curd –
Curd, Honey face pack –
- This pack is a natural moisturizer. You can safely replace your moisturizer with this pack or use this for extra moisturizing in a natural way. This pack is also known to improve skin color.
- It also acts as a cleanser and toner.
- Add 1 tablespoon honey to 1 tablespoon curd.
- Mix well and apply this paste to the face and neck.
- Wash with cold water, wipe and find a smooth glowing skin.
Curd, Olive oil face pack –
- This is the best anti-aging face pack. It effectively cures and prevents the fine lines, wrinkles, and dryness on the face and prevents premature aging.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to 3-4 tablespoons curd.
- Mix well and apply a coat on the face and neck.
- Wash with cold water after 15 minutes.
- Results are best when you use them regularly.
Curd, Orange peel powder face pack –
- Orange peel powder has a nature of improving skin complexion. It works best when mixed with curd. The combination helps you to remove tan, improve skin texture, and complexion. It makes the skin glow on regular usage.
- Take 5 tablespoons of orange peel powder.
- Add enough quantity of curd to make a smooth paste.
- Apply all over the face and leave it for at least 15-20 minutes or until it dries.
- Apply a little oil to palms and gently rub the face in circular motions before washing.
- This exfoliates the skin. Wash with cold water.
- Apply this pack every alternate day for better results.
Curd, gram flour face pack –
- This face pack reduces the sebum and deep cleans the pores. It also nurtures the skin and gives a glow.
- Add 3-4 tablespoon of gram flour to a bowl.
- Add sufficient curd, about 3-4 tablespoons to make a smooth paste.
- Mix well and apply this paste to the face and neck.
- Let it dry slightly or leave for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Regular application will vanish the acne and blemishes on the face. It gives you flawless skin.
Curd, Almond face pack –
- It’s the best anti-aging face pack and also the best moisturizer.
- Take a hand full of almonds and make it into powder by running in a blender.
- Don’t run the mixer at high speed.
- This powder can be stored in an airtight jar in a refrigerator.
- Take 2-3 tablespoons of this powder in a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of curd.
- Mix well and apply on face and neck. Leave it for at least 15 minutes and rub gently.
- Wash with cold water.
Myths about eating Curd ( Yogurt ) –
Myth #1 – All Yogurt is healthy: Not all yogurt is healthy. Some are downright disgusting and contains more sugar than doughnuts. Some yogurt is full of additives, colors, and gums to thicken it and are best avoided altogether.
Myth #2 – All Yogurt contains beneficial Probiotics: Many yogurts are heated during the manufacturing or shipping process and no longer contain the “live cultures” they claim to on the label.
Myth #3 – Even People Who are Lactose-Intolerant or Allergic to Dairy Products can Eat Yogurt: Because the cultures turn the milk sugar lactose into lactic acid, some people who are lactose intolerant can eat yogurt without digestive distress. Anyone with a full-blown allergy to dairy products will still have an immune response to dairy yogurt and needs to avoid it altogether.
Myth #4 – Does Yogurt cause cold: Yogurt does have a cooling effect on the body, but it does not cause a cold. Only a virus can do that.
Myth #5 – Eating curd can aggravate Cold: According to different investigations the consumption of milk, Curd, or other dairy products does not seem to exacerbate the symptoms of cold or Asthma. Therefore, Common Cold does not get worsened by eating Curd.
Part II – Having Milk before sleeping at night
As we all know, milk is rich in nutrients ( see Chart ) it is also Power House of Nutrients that we need in order to stay healthy. This dairy product is rich in calcium, which is necessary for our bones and teeth health.
Milk and other dairy products contain an amino acid (which helps induce sleep) known as tryptophan. Milk also contains melatonin, a hormone that regulates the sleep-wake cycle. If you’re stressed and can’t seem to get your zzz’s, a full glass of milk might be the trick to keeping that 8-hour sleep routine.
It is proved that poor sleep is one of the most common causes of weight gain and many other health
problems. It means that quality sleep is of crucial importance for our health. Ideally milk should be consumed three hours before going to bed. Never go to sleep immediately after drinking milk because it may lead to acidity.
Milk will have a great impact on your sleep habits and it will help you fall asleep much easier. Also, if you drink a cup of warm milk at night, you will sleep deeply and you will not wake up over the night. It has an amino acid that will help us sleep. Tryptophan will convert to serotonin, which is known as the hormone of pleasure and a good mood. It is known that serotonin will increase the amount of melatonin in the body. Melatonin is a hormone that is responsible for good sleep. It will calm your nerves and it will help you relax.
Click here for Guidelines about Milk intake
It is also important to mention that a cup of warm milk at night can have an impact on the following day. Actually, it may help you wake up revitalized and full of energy. There is no doubt that milk will give
you energy and help you start your day in a good mood. You will stay active the entire day and you will not be tired. Another interesting and important benefit of drinking milk at night is weight loss.
If you are overweight, it is recommended to drink non-fat or low-fat milk. Of course, you should be
careful with the amount of milk you are taking. It is enough to drink only a cup of warm milk before going to bed. It will provide you with all nutrients and it will reduce your appetite. This way you will not have the need to eat anything more and milk will help you burn calories much faster. But, you should have in mind that you can drink only pure milk if you want to lose weight. It means that you should not add sugar, honey, or any other sweetener.
As per the dietary guidelines for Indians, three portions of milk and milk products, with each portion being of 100 gm, is to be included in the balanced diet of adult men and women. For pregnant and lactating women, it is five portions per day.
Comparing Cow’s milk with plan based beverages like Soy milk, Rice, Almond, and coconut researchers have concluded that there is no alternative to Cow’s milk.
Click here for Benefits of Milk
Cow’s milk is most widely consumed by humans. The milk of other animals such as buffaloes, goats, llamas, camels, deer, sheep, and water buffaloes is also consumed by people around the world.
Types of Milk
Experts suggest individuals choose their milk depending on their body requirement, as there is something for everyone.
- Raw milk (not recommended for drinking)
- Pasteurized milk (heat treated)
- Full cream milk (4% fat)
- Reduced fat milk (2% fat)
- Skimmed milk (0.15% fat)
- Flavored milk (with added sugars)
- Calcium enriched milk (500mg calcium in 250ml glass)
- Lactose-free milk (for lactose intolerant people)
Health benefits of Milk :
- Keeps Bones Healthy.
- Helps in weight loss.
- Beats stress.
- Builds muscle.
- Healthy Body.
- Controls Hunger Pangs.
- Milk as a flavored treat.
- Perfect Post work-out Drink.
- Natural source of protein.
- Best Source of calcium.
- Energy Booster.
- Acts as a food supplement.
- Aids Good Sleep.
- Soothes bad throat.
- Improves hydration.
- Improves complexion.
- Excellent Cleanser.
- Shrinks Pores.
- Milk for radiant skin.
- Removes dead Cells.
- Smoothen fine lines and wrinkles.
- Treatment of Sunburns.
- Good Moisturizer.
- Treatment of dry and rough hair.
- Milk as a conditioner.
- Milk for Shiny hair.
|Milk ( per 100g )|
Raw Milk for Skin and Body :
How To Make Skin Toning Raw Milk Face Mask?
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to raw milk and mix well.
- Add rose water if you have a dry skin type.
- Apply on face and neck, and leave to dry for 15 minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water if the skin is oily and with normal tap water if the skin is dry.
Moisturizer : One of the most effective raw milk benefits is moisturization. This is not exactly a secret benefit of raw milk. Raw milk nourishes deeper skin layers and offers conditioning and moisturization from inside.
Skin Cleanser : It is so wonderful to realize that a little juggling between ingredients make a single product a good toner, moisturizer as well as a cleanser. Raw milk offers unmatched skin cleansing, as it deeply cleans the pores of excessive oil, sebum, dirt and even blackheads.
Anti Tanning Agent : Raw milk is an ultimate anti-tan agent. It can be used alongside tomato juice to make an amazing anti-tan face pack. This natural ingredient offers freedom from the complete body tan.
Fairness Agent : Raw milk tones the skin in a gentle way. It is an unbeaten fairness agent that keeps a check on the secretion of tyrosine in human skin. Tyrosine is the melanin controlling hormone that can lead to skin darkening.
Anti Acne Agent : Raw milk is an acne fighting agent. It removes excess oil and also keeps a check on skin dryness. This naturally keeps acne under control.
Anti-Aging Agent : This amazing toner is also a natural foe to premature aging. You can mix raw milk with mashed banana to make an effective anti-aging face mask. It reduces the appearance of sun spots, fine lines, peeled skin and wrinkles.
Adds Glow : Raw milk adds a never ending glow to the face when used with sugar particles. It improves the complexion and reverses the visible signs of dryness.
Natural Sunscreen : Mix raw milk with curd and apply evenly on face 30 minutes before and after you step out in the sun. It makes an amazing protective sheath around your skin.
Comfort bath : Fill bath tub with water, and add 1-2 liters of raw milk, a few rose petals and a few tablespoons of lemon juice to it to get the ‘Cleopatra Bath’ right in the comfort of your home!
Pros and Cons of drinking Milk at Night
Pros of drinking milk at bed time
Pros #1 – Aids in good sleep : Scientists researched to find out that milk has tryptophan, which is an amino acid and is responsible for inducing sleep. Research has also proved that when Tryptophan is released in brain, it produces serotonin, which is a serenity boosting neurotransmitter. Therefore in many cases it is found to help fight insomnia as well.
Pros #2 – Keeps body warm : Warm milk makes the body warm. Thus when the temperature of the body is raised the muscles get relaxed and this condition slows down the responses of the body and induces sleep.
Pros #3 – Soothes disturbed stomach or Digestive System : Warm milk coats the stomach and soothes it. If a person suffers from mild peptic or ulcers, milk may ease and give a relieved feeling.
Pros #4 – Keeps you full for a long period of time : Children sleep off well when their stomach is full. This is true with adults also. So when milk is taken at night after food, it gives a sense of content and keeps you full throughout the night.
Pros #5 – Comfortable Sleep : People drinking warm milk at night gives psychological comfort and thus may help you to relax and have good sleep at night.
Pros #6 – Heart disease : The men with the greater consumption of milk experienced a reduction in the risk of ischaemic [inadequate blood flow] stroke and a possible reduction in ischaemic heart disease risk.
Pros #7 – Lactose intolerance : Individuals vary in their degree of lactose intolerance, but even children and teenagers with primary lactose intolerance can usually consume 8 to 12 ounces (1 to 1.5 cups) of milk without experiencing symptoms.
Pros #8 – Cancer : Milk is rich in Vitamin D and boosting vitamin D status can affect the overall risk of cancer.
Pros #9 – Weight Loss : Research indicates that consuming more calcium in the diet – particularly from calcium-rich dairy foods – can speed up weight loss and reduce body fat, particularly abdominal fat. Consuming Milk appears to help prevent body weight and fat gain in children and adults.
Pros #10 – Controlled eating : Drinking a glass of milk at breakfast and before bedtime prevents unhealthy snacking and the cravings of food at night.
Cons of Drinking Milk at Night
Cons #1 Difficult to Digest : Warm milk at night is many times not easy to digest and may lead to a bloating stomach and gas conditions which may make you uncomfortable and may drive off sleep. It can also be heavy for people with weak digestive system as it has a lot of nutrients and minerals.
Cons #2 – Triggers Allergies : Some studies have showed that if you have milk allergy, your immune system will start over reacting to proteins in the milk. Allergies are known to show up more rapidly at night hours and can lead to rashes, fever, hives, swelling and itching.
One additional reason for you to drink milk if you have kids, is that you as a parent, are setting an example for them. So drink a glass of milk before bedtime as from today to your health.
Myths about having Milk
Myth #1 – Drinking Milk leads to weight gain. If you want to reduce weight then don’t drink milk : It is always good to consider milk as part of your daily diet because; it provides valuable macronutrients (Protein, Fat & Carbohydrates) as well as micronutrients (Vitamin A, C, D, B Vitamins, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium & Zinc).
Myth #2 – There is no harm drinking unlimited milk : Too much quantity of anything is bad. Milk contains D-Galactose, which has been shown to induce oxidative stress damage and chronic inflammation that further leads to heart disease, bone loss, muscle loss & cancer.
Myth #3 – Flavored milk is not healthy as plain milk : It totally depends on artificial sweeteners and colors added to flavored milk. If it’s loaded with too much artificial sweeteners and colors, better to avoid it. You can try and make smoothies instead which is a healthier option.
Myth #4 – We should avoid milk during cough & cold : Avoid taking plain milk in case of cough and cold as it may make phlegm thicker and more irritating to your throat. Turmeric mixed in warm milk is a popular and effective way to fight against cold and cough.Drinking a glass of warm turmeric milk before sleep helps in faster recovery from cold and cough.
Myth #5 – Don’t drink milk in the night as it might disturb your sleep : Its good to have a glass of milk as it helps to induce sound sleep because of the amino acid known as tryptophan and melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep.
Myth #6 – Don’t give milk to a child with a fever, the milk will curdle (or some other variant) : As long as your child is not vomiting, milk is a perfectly acceptable fluid to give your febrile child. In fact it is superior to plain water if your child is refusing to eat, which is very typical of a child with a fever. Fevers take away appetites. So if your child stops eating while she is sick, at least she can drink some nutrition. Children with fevers need extra hydration anyway.
Myth #7 – You can’t overdose a child on milk : While milk is healthy and provides necessary calcium and vitamin D, too much milk can be a bad thing. drinking all that extra milk is bad for teeth (all milk contains sugar) and can also lead to obesity from excessive calories.
Myth #8 – Milk decreases risk of diabetes : Researchers have concluded that Milk may lower the risk of type 2 diabetes in middle-aged or older women.
Myth #9 – Raw milk is more nutritious than pasteurized milk : Raw milk is not more nutritious and can pose serious health risks.